Friday, March 11, 2011

Sun, Wind, Cold and ... Relaxation!

We had a roll and coffee at the hotel lobby bar for breakfast, walked on the beach and planned our day. A drive north led us to Clearwater Beach and Sand Key Park, where many surfers were waiting for "the wave", and there were lots of them today.

The beach was full of crushed shells, and I was happy to be wearing my tennis shoes and double jackets. The Vikings windbreaker was great with the white fleecy shirt underneath. I was shocked by the overbuilding on the shores of Tampa Bay and the Gulf. Buildings are wedged together so tightly that the beautiful bare beaches are obscured and scarred by structures of several eras, in a variety of architectural styles.

We split a grouper sandwich at the famous Frenchy's, where we picked up a shirt for Chris, who recommended this restaurant.

I went for a swim toward the end of the afternoon. Most adults were in the pool for only a few minutes but the water was so much warmer than the air that I was reluctant to get out. Bob joined me (as an observer, not a swimmer) and I dried off on one of the deck lounge chairs -- furniture I usually avoid, fearing that I will make a spectacle of myself getting out of the chair. Not so today: the Tradewinds chairs are well designed and solid, and very comfortable.

We watched the spectacularly beautiful sunset from the deck and decided dinner at Crabby Bills's was in order, as did the dozens of people who were waiting for a table when we arrived. Rather than wait an hour, we made the mistake of settling for Silas Dent's, which might have been good if our server had been a little more with the program. He forgot what we had ordered, didn't bring us bread until we asked, and then served us cold food. I was amazed to read great reviews online; maybe we were just unlucky.

The wind has died down and we're looking forward to sun and warmer temps tomorrow. I feel very pleased with the day and almost relaxed: enjoyed the little logistics and navigation problems that make the day interesting and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment